The following notes have been prepared to help you care for your upholstery, be it leather or fabric, and to ensure it has a long and trouble-free life. Take care of your Chester's piece and it will serve you well for years. Enjoy the unique experience of owning and enjoying
Care of Leather Upholstery:
- Remove any surface dust with a soft dry cloth or wipe with a damp cloth and dry immediately with a soft cloth when necessary.
- Regular dusting and vacuum cleaning in crevices is all that is necessary to clean your furniture.
- In the case of a liquid spill, blot immediately with a soft absorbent cloth.
- For butter, oil or grease spills, wipe off excess with a clean dry cloth, and leave alone. The spot should dissipate into the leather after a short period of time.
- Never use saddle soap or cleaning solvents, furniture polish, oils, varnish, abrasive cleaners, detergent soaps or ammonia water. Remember, leather is a natural material that ‘breathes’ so do not risk closing the process.
- Leather is inclined to stretch and form creases and light surface cracks over a period of time. This not a fault but rather the inherent property of leather.
- For minor or slight scratches on the surface, use a chamois cloth to gently buff the scratch. Deeper scratches might require moistening with distilled water and massaging with clean cloth.
- Refrain from sitting on the back or arms of the furniture as this may distort the padding and can cause premature wear.
- Keep away from direct sunlight or any other source of direct heat as this can dry out the natural oils in the leather and cause cracking and stiffening of the leather.
- Leather needs feeding and conditioning 1-2 times a year to keep it supple. Use a recommended conditioner or wax that contains fats and oils that lubricate the leather and replenish smoothness and softness.
- It is advisable to have your leather furniture cleaned regularly by a professional upholstery cleaner
- Remember that leather is a natural product and requires some care to maintain the natural beauty of the hide.
Care of Fabric Upholstery:
- Avoid sitting on the arms of the settees and chairs as it exerts excess and can cause premature wear and distortion of the padding and fabric.
- All fabric snags easily and can be damaged by sharp edged toys, buckles, jewelry and domestic pets. Snags, when they do occur, should be trimmed using scissors. Under no circumstances should you attempt to pull it out.
- Direct sunlight over a prolonged period of time can cause fading and/or deterioration of fabric. When planning your room, arrange your furniture so that it is protected from sunlight.
- Clean your upholstery at least once a week with a soft brush or vacuum cleaner as accumulated dirt will accelerate wear and dull the colours. It is advisable to have your furniture cleaned regularly by professional upholstery cleaner as different fibres and fabric constructions require special treatment.
- Loose fitted sofa covers and cushions may be removed and given for professional dry cleaning as required.
- Strictly avoid using bleach when washing your upholstery.
- Severe spills and stains should only be removed by professional upholstery cleaners.
If you have any other queries or doubts, please do not hesitate to contact us. Our friendly and experienced sales persons will be more than happy to help.